Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Orisha Arts

Hello,

Welcome to my blog dedicated to everything bead related and some other arts used in orisha worship and some posts. I have been making beaded items for the orisha community since 1997, having learned from many master bead workers.

Over the years I have refined my methods and stick to my guiding principles. These are:

  • Produce only the highest quality work. I never cut corners by using inferior techniques such as glue. I think glue is horrendous. If you are paying decent money for an object you don't want it to be smothered in glue. It doesn't look quite right. It might be a quick way of turning out new items but I feel it doesn't quite do the orisha justice. Also, after a few years, the adhesive will start to crack, discolour and crumble which means the entire piece is either ruined to the point of no return or requires a complete makeover. I use traditional stitching and weaving techniques that took me quite a long time to master. When you "weave" beads to an object, they envelop it in a way that is much more alluring and tactile than when using adhesive. The technique uses tension to naturally and very firmly hold the beads in place. It is also suitable for producing intricate patterns and for covering any shape and size of object (such as gourds, sticks, staffs, rattles, skulls etc). Different sizes of beads can easily be incorporated into the design this way. 
  • I only use the best materials available. Fifteen years ago, the first ever mazo (large beaded sash used to adorn the shrines of the orisha) I made on my own was completely fashioned from acrylic beads. My, how far I have come from those days! Over the years, I have studied the range of beads available, their manufacturing processes and their rich history and can now appreciate beads and their inherent quality. The foundation of most beaded items for the orisha are comprised of what we call "e" or size 6/0 (2mm) glass seed beads. The best and widely recognised source for these beads are from a place called Jablonec in the Czech Republic, an area renowned for their Bohemian glass-making industry. This area contains several centuries-old firms producing the beads that have been used throughout the world, they were the source for trade beads used in Africa and some of the "pony" beads used in Native American beadwork. In recent years, modern Chinese factories have been pumping out their versions of Czech seed beads, and the Chinese versions, while being slightly cheaper, definitely cannot compete as their colours are not as vibrant, neither are they as uniform in size and shape as the Czech ones. So, needless to say, I use only Czech beads which also come in the widest variety of colours. They also have a huge selection of striped beads that are indispensable when I am making something for Babalu-Aye. They may be more expensive but they are worth it. I also use real semi-precious stones and minerals like amber, jet, jade and carnelian. I use a LOT of red coral as coral has many positive benefits for the wearer, including drawing wealth, protection, purification and so on. It is also one of the greatest symbols of prosperity and blessings. I try and incorporate coral into the projects that I am working on using the appropriate colours. 
  • I keep in mind for whom the piece is being made. I get a genuine pleasure in making things for a person's orisha. For me, it is a real honour that someone would want something I made to become a part of their religious devotion. So, as much as I hope that the person I am making the item for likes it, I really keep in mind the orisha for whom it will ultimately go to and work my very best in order that it may please him or her. As I am working with beads, I do so in a quiet and calm environment as it is not only the best way I work but also, I think if you are making something that has a sacred purpose, you must do so with respect and integrity from the moment you touch the first bead. I feel that the person's intention when making or doing something directly influences the process and product. An example completely unrelated to beads comes to mind when I went to a new hair salon for a haircut and promptly vacated the chair when I realised that the stylist was not going to stop gossiping with her colleague.  She had one eye on my hair while the rest of her was relishing, almost salivating, speaking to her friend about ridiculousness. I knew if I would have stayed I would have developed a headache and gotten a haircut infused with her bochinche! So, in short, I take the utmost care and responsibility in the sacred task at hand, probably something that the orisha rather than the person receiving it would pick up on. 
  • I stay faithful to Lukumi tradition. I am initiated as a Lukumi priest, it's what I know best. Within the tradition, there is an incredibly rich source of bead patterns and styles, both in Cuba and America. I particularly like making beadwork for specific paths of the orishas. I have been researching bead patterns and paths for many years, collecting the different styles that have accumulated over the years. One orisha may have several distinct styles from one lineage to the next, and the majority come with interesting explanations of why the orisha takes this or that. I use the rules to make a piece that is according to tradition. It is through the choice of beading materials, textures and finishes that I update the piece and make something that is completely unique. I think creativity and invention are best expressed with respect to tradition and the knowledge of the elders that have passed on this rich legacy.
  • I make things on a commission basis, each one of a kind. A friend told me that one of the most famous beadworkers in New York used to have the set pattern for each necklace/eleke specifically posted on his wall. When an order would come in, one of his assistants would look up, note the formula for the necklace to be made and never deviate from it. While this is a undoubtedly a good business model (you buy a large quantity of a few beads in order to reproduce many standard issue items) I find that depressing as it sucks out the artistry and singularity one would want from getting an item made. I am constantly looking for new beads in order to expand my choices when constructing something. I often buy beads because I like them and know I will use them in the undetermined future on something for the orishas. I also go by instinct. Sometimes, a person will ask me to make something for their head orisha and I will know that I have to go and buy x beads as they would best suit the person's taste and expectations, even if I have a million suitable and very adequate beads already in my possession. 
Wow, this is my first post and I did not think I would be writing any of this! I intended to write a short intro, say hello, welcome to my page. I will be posting photos of the many things that I have made and am proud of and I hope that you will get in contact. I love discussing bead things, if you have something to share, or have questions, or indeed want to talk about having something made, I'm all ears.

Forever beading,

Ajaja

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, my dear little brother,
    As the proud owner of one of your beautiful creations & having watched you grow & develop your craft through the last 15 years, I'm so happy to see you finally sharing it with the world! I'm sure that they will delight in your artistry & mastership, as well as the beautiful examples of your work. I wish you only the very best & hope that many more folks are lucky enough to get their hands on one (or more!) of your incredible & inspiring art. May Olodumare continue to bless you as you exalt the Orisa with your work. Love you!
    Aboru aboye o!
    Tu hermano Esudina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felicitaciones Ajaja,
    Estoy muy orgulloso del esfuerzo y la delicadez que le pones a cada uno de tus creaciones para Orisha. Eres es un artesano cuyo trabajo ayuda a mantener viva la tradición Lukumí, rindiendo homenaje a la Travesía del Atlántico siempre crucial de nuestros ancestros Yorubas que trasplantaron sus tradiciones religiosas a Cuba.
    Que Obatala bendiga tus manos y te de el ashe para seguir previendo todo este arte con la habilidad y la técnica que sólo tu puedes.
    Es un honor poder aportar a las informaciones que te han ayudado crear con tanta opulencia tus obras de arte y fe.
    Ashe O abure mi!
    Eleke odara dara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very new to the Lukumi tradition, just receiving my hand of Ifa this past Sunday. I am very into many types of creative work and I am looking into designing works for the Orisha. How did you begin with your patterns? Is there anyway to study under you?

    ReplyDelete